Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

2016 Pinewood Derby World Championship in Time Square

Discussion in 'Local Racing Events' started by ScoutRacer, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

Which is why I tell ALL of the boys that the real world championship is in Omaha...

None of my boys are racing in New York....

Stubs mom asked me about that race at MA, because there was a flier... and when I told her about all the BS that happens, she crumbled the paper up right then... It was kinda funny...

[​IMG]

xanthrum likes this.
  2. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Which is a top reason this whole thread should go bye bye!

3. ~JBD RACING~

~JBD RACING~ PWD Royalty 10+ Pro Race Wins! 2016 PDNC Champion

Why waste your time at a event like this when you can league race.. + 1 Kinser .

4. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I'm only considering on going if I find that a few others are going - for the social aspects. I'm not truly interested in building a car, especially one that is graphite-powered. Although, I may have to brush up on my graphite skillz for other reasons.

5. Vitamin K

Vitamin K Guest

Would be interesting to have a sit-down with the organizers and see if they could be possibly made to understand why their flip-flopping on rules is so toxic to running a good event.

I think we should work hard to champion high-level and large-publicity Pinewood events, as more interest and exposure helps feed the hobby.

6. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

A sit-down?? These are people who think they know pinewood derby, and they all probably have big heads because they are putting on the "world championship".

They won't hear a single thing you say... they will all say something how they want to take it back to the roots... or the rules are in the box... or some other stupid excuse to limit the speed on the cars...

and a high level, large publicity event... you mean like Mid America?

7. Vitamin K

Vitamin K Guest

I said events, plural.

Mid-America, Northern Star Council Derby. Maybe eventually this thing if they can get their [doo-doo] together?

8. GravityX

GravityX PWD Royalty Pro Racer

What I really think you meant to say was graphite-powdered. /images/boards/smilies/wink.gif

9. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

Leaving tomorrow morning for NY. Anyone else going?

I've never been and the kids haven't either, so figured it was a good way to get a taste of the Big Apple if nothing else.

Hoping to be competitive though.

10. ccw13175

ccw13175 Pack Champion

The nsc rules actually has a line in them that says ". If we can’t verify
    that the wheels have not been lightened due to interior wheel weights, air dams, fenders,
    or other reasons, we will ask YOU to take the wheels off for inspection."

11. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

That's fair enough as long as they at least provide a tuning table so you can set the steer back where you had it.

12. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

I get what you're saying, but I'm traveling to New York and paying Texa$ for a hotel.....I don't think $50 for a set of wheels would be much of a burden for anyone else who is doing so.

Not like this is just a local Pack race at my neighborhood church.

13. ccw13175

ccw13175 Pack Champion

I don't write the rules for the nsc. But I do see your.point. knowing the guys that run the nsc. I'm pretty sure having you pull wheels would be a absolute last resort. My guess is they would ask you to pull a rear one first.

14. B_Regal Racing

We have a car for the race (finished tuning it with he kid late last night). Its not league caliber (my kid had his hands on it), but we are seriously considering it. Its more of a local race to me. I'm not giving it any more weight than say "districts."

Mid-America is the race I truly prepare for (that's Nationals) and if I had to pull a wheel prior to racing, I would stay home. After the race, I could care less.

15. B_Regal Racing

NEWS FLASH: Registration closed a week ago (6/18). Its not mid-America where you can register the day before. Since I did not register, I guess that answers the question as to whether or not I will go. I certainly will not go just as a spectator.

Too bad...

16. Vitamin K

Vitamin K Guest

Online registration was extended until yesterday at 6:00PM, according to an email that I got. Still too late for today, unfortunately.

17. TWarwick07

TWarwick07 Council Champion

Check out Foley's on 33rd street for a bite to eat. Also burger heaven off of 5th ave acrosss from saks is awesome.

18. ScoutRacer

ScoutRacer Pinewood Ninja

We will be there. Leaving in the morning.

19. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

I need to get to bed. We are leaving about 10 am tomorrow.

Thanks to John for getting us some parts here in a hurry...hopefully they give us that little extra bit that helps.

Not looking forward to check in at 8am Saturday. They told me they intend to start the race shortly after 9am.
    Don't know how many cars they're inspecting, but I think they'll either have to have a bunch of people doing the inspecting, or really doing them fast.

BTW, here's the explanation of the wheels rule I got:

20. ScoutRacer

ScoutRacer Pinewood Ninja

The email that I received back stated 250+ cars.