Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

First fender build now got to figure the weight out

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by todd venoy, Sep 14, 2018.

1. todd venoy

todd venoy Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

Love this car. I know it’s not perfect but it’s my beat one yet. Tell me what you think

Attached Files:

2. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Looks almost like a twin brother to my MA car! Nice work.

3. todd venoy

That’s means a lot coming from a national champ thank you very much for the compliment

4. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Something I struggle with at times. Look at your DFW. The front fender is not at the same angle as the wheel. Believe it or not, that will slow you down some. When you build your next car, find an old wheel that is the same size as your race wheel and have an old axle with the same bend as your race axle and install it. Keep it on the car while you shape your front fender. I wanted to give that national champ a little competition, but had the same exact problem (sometimes, I don't get the shields lined up perfectly either). That being said, it's a beautiful car and looks like it will give some stiff competition to other racers. Love the clean lines. Race it until the wheels fall off :)

5. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I agree with Ed, it is a beautiful car.

Random thoughts:
    That is my youngest son's favorite color. He did his car last year in that color and had the hoodie to match!
    I wonder if the wheel and fender line up better when the car is sitting on it's wheels? I see that the axles aren't pushed all the way in yet, that might make a difference too.
    Looks like it might be a printed fender? Those are really hard to shape if it is. You may just have to go with what you have.
    Balsa isn't that hard to work with, there are a couple videos out now.
    Menard's sells a little Velcro sanding block that works great if you want to try balsa fenders.
    https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...67-c-14240.htm?tid=602465166934214396&ipos=71
    Where are your shields? :)

6. Reecedad

Reecedad Council Champion

The car looks great

7. Wolfram Racing

Wolfram Racing Rail Runner

SO SHINY!!! You might want to watch your gaps in the rear (Hahaha..just kidding. You just haven't inserted the axle fully yet). What class is this for?

8. todd venoy

This is my sons Cub Scout car. It is his last year and he wants to go out with a bang then after that he wants to race pro