Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Kill two birds

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by WrightStuffRacing, Aug 8, 2020.

1. WrightStuffRacing

WrightStuffRacing Bent Axle

My wife asked for a detail on her car for her birthday.

I had a choice, pay someone to do it or use it an excuse to get some wax and polish that I can use for derby.

Well, it cost me an afternoon and some sore arms But I have a lifetime supply of some good fresh wax and my wife’s 4 runner looks amazing.

LOL!

2. Carl ODay

Carl ODay Pinewood Ninja

What did you use? I have a cub scout that could use more speed and my wife has a Highlander that could use more shine?

3. WrightStuffRacing

WrightStuffRacing Bent Axle

You going to buy me dinner first?

in all seriousness, there are answers to your question in the Ask The Pros section of this forum. Do a search through that section of the forum and you will find your answer.

4. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

The easiest method is to start with something tried and true:

https://eggharbornj.infinitecampus.org/campus/portal/parents/eggharbor.jsp

Once you can repeat the prep process with an expectation of a certain speed, branch off and experiment, but only change one part of the process at a time, whether it be a different wax, different polishing compound, different applicator, etc. That way you can determine if the difference was better or worse with respect to speed. Of course, you need to race in a league to know (or have your own track). It will be difficult to gauge your success with only racing once a year.

But, if you do want to find a good wax, look for something fitting for a Land Rover, or if funds allow, a Bugatti Veyron :D

5. Hangtime

Hangtime Lurking

6. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

7. Carl ODay

Carl ODay Pinewood Ninja

https://luxurylaunches.com/transport/the-worlds-most-expensive-car-wash-costs-100000.php
    "...Carnauba wax, made from the leaves of some of the tallest trees in Brazil. This exclusive wax costs £65,000 (approx. $99,700)..." Well that's a little spendy.

Maybe I'll try a more budget friendly version first... Something like this:
    https://newatlas.com/worlds-most-expensive-car-wax/16320/
    At only $37k, It's a stealo_O

I tried searching the Ask the Pros forum for "wax" and got "The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common." Damn programmers and their trying to limit the number of results so we don't have to sift through a bunch posts from some dude name Maxwell that didn't even post about wax... Sorry... programmer rant... I manage coders for my day job... I'll do some digging around, thanks for the input.

8. Hangtime

Hangtime Lurking

Lol. I only asked because of that link. I should have looked at it more closely. The Egg Harbor I’m familiar with is a small town in Door County, Wisconsin.

Try searching “bore prep”.

9. xjarcher

xjarcher District Champion

I don't know much and don't try to compete with the pros but I got excellent results on a very quickly built car using Griot's Garage Ceramic 3 in 1 this past season. I'll put more effort into it this season and see what it does. OTOH, makes the wifes's black Grand Cherokee look fantastic.

WrightStuffRacing likes this.