Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Loose axle hole fix?

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Scott Porter, May 5, 2019.

1. Scott Porter

Scott Porter Pinewood Ninja

Thanks for your honest feedback, I have several I will tape and test. Ordered my own track last night. Just need to find a place to set it up. :) I imagine this will find some volunteers.

2. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

I tape All openings with ultra light 3m duct tape.....ladder frame or remove as much weight as possible or solid cut.....just maintain frame rigidity

Scott Porter likes this.
  3. Scott Porter

I have appreciated the great feedback from all so far and for allowing this to go in different directions. When you cut, are you cutting all the way through the body and taping bottom,top? Both? Or cutting from the bottom (to keep the top side aero) and taping the bottom only? Seems like on a light front end car with std wheelbase, I can only put so much weight behind the rear axle (cubes) or I am pushing the COG to the point of being too aggressive and car not handling well. Have been running mostly at about 3/4" COG or just slightly less. Thanks for expanding the conversation on the tape, etc.

4. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

You will get all the above answers on how everyone prepares there foundation. I would say whatever you have the tools for and then work at perfecting your craft. I like cutting all pockets with scroll saw then putting 1/64 birch wood on top and foil tape on bottom, but I do sometimes use a router and leave a very thin layer of wood to keep top intact. Hope that helps.

Scott Porter likes this.
  5. Scott Porter

Txs! I appreciate the ideas. I cut my first cars also with a scroll saw, and now have a mini-mill. I can cut the weight pockets with a 1/8 end mill bit and also step the front ahead of the front axle and then sand down. Takes some time but nice outcome. I like the foil tape idea below the pockets. Txs!