Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Need help on how to install Deleon washers

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by todd venoy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. todd venoy

todd venoy Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

if anyone could let me know what process they are using to install washers on car body really struggling
    It’s actually delrin washers stupid auto correct

2. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I know how this is going to sound, but just glue them on to the body. Rough up the side to be glued, use an old axle as a guide, and adhere with CA glue or your choice. Be sure to polish them after gluing...

Charles Studer likes this.
  3. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

I'll sand the side that will go towards the body with 320 or 400 grit sand paper.
    I use a thick CA glue to around the axle hole. Put the washer on a junk axle .
    Insert the axle into the axle hole. The axle will align the washer. Wait until the glue has dried before removing the axle.
    Twist the axle before pulling it out. If you don't, you might pull the washer off the body.

Just a tip - leave the wood around the axle hole bare. The washer will anchor better to bare wood.

4. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

+1

5. todd venoy

todd venoy Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

Hey I appreciate the procedures that you guys sent it helps alot

6. bryan

bryan Pack Champion

I may be other thinking it but here goes. If the rear wheels are canted so that the wheel rubs against the axel head and not the body then are washers necessary? Also, if one front wheel is higher then wouldn't only the DFW require a washer?

7. Skywalker Racing

Skywalker Racing Council Champion Pro Racer

In theory, you’re right, but in reality we all still catch a wiggle from time to time and would rather those rear wheels make contact with something other than bare wood in those rare instances.

The raised wheel does not need a washer.

HurriCrane Racing likes this.
  8. bryan

bryan Pack Champion

Is there any benefit to using a larger sheet of Delrin, say .25 x 1.25 inches? A washer only touches the wheel hub while a large piece would also help with the outermost inside edge of the wheel.

9. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

The wheel edges should be nowhere near the body of the car. Any contact between the wheel edges and the body will kill the speed of your car.

bryan likes this.
  10. Dan Hodge

Dan Hodge Bent Axle

I was thinking about using a 1/4 forstners bit to carve out a small pocket for them to fit into. Do you think the center point on the bit will open up the axle hole too much?

11. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing Workshop Leader #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

That works really well if you want to bring your wheels in a bit. Doesn’t affect the axle hole. You’re only going in the thickness of the washer. I’d practice on a junk block first to get an idea on depth.

12. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

I know people who do this because they are too OCD to let a piece of delrin hang outside of the body. It seemed to work well for them.

13. M Tull

M Tull Pinewood Ninja

Dan, Keep in mind I'm not a league racer but I've had success using a 1/4 double fluted router bit in my drill press to counter sink the washer. Like you, I was worried the forstner bit tip might cause problems.

14. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing Workshop Leader #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

OCD... hmmm I woNder whothat coUld Be? ??? Lol!!!

AJBinVA likes this.
  15. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

HAHAHahahaha... I may be so OCD that I actually call it CDO so the letters are in alphabetical order, but it was not me.... yet

16. davet

davet League Racer

I use a small file and make a notch for the washer to fit in. No worries about body damage that way.