Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

New to me Sherline Lathe questions

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Gso125, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Gso125

Gso125 Pinewood Ninja

I have read a bunch of posts about turning wheels and watched some videos. I’m looking to turn/ true up my wheels and also cut better weight pockets on a mill. To be clear I’m looking at this as a fun learning experience that hopefully I can teach my boys later on. I have wood working experience hopefully I can pick this up in time to.

So I bought a used Sherline 4500 3.5x8 manual handwheel lathe and some hss cutter/tools. Collet set and slitting saw. And other tools

My questions are, does anyone have this setup and if so do you ever convert it to the mill with the addition of a vertical milling column. It only takes a few minutes to switch over so I wanted to add it for milling use. If I do buy the vertical milling column I was thinking of adding a DRO also (digital read out) wondering if anyone uses the dro if it’s worth adding. Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

don't have the milling column, I just bought the mill instead... but I know people who do have the milling column and they really like it.

DRO... definitely worth it. When I bought my second lathe, I got it with the DRO, and liked it so much, I got the DRO upgrade for my first lathe...

3. Gso125

Gso125 Pinewood Ninja

I’ve been debating having 2 separate machines that’s still up in the air. But either way I’ll go with a DRO. Do you cut wood on them some videos say not to because the dust can ruin things. Thank you for the input for the DRO.

4. Mojo Racing

I cut everything... I have done wood, but that is rare. Most of the time, I just cut plastics and metals.

To solve the dust issue (and plastic hair issue... and metal chip/shavings issue), I have a shopvac nearby to keep the area mostly clean when I am working with my sherlines.

HurriCrane Racing likes this.
  5. GravityX

GravityX PWD Royalty Pro Racer

DRO is a must in my book. Like Mojo, I have DROs on both the lathe and mill. Shop-Vac is very handy in keeping the work area clean. I debated the mill conversion for the lathe but ultimately decided against it and I'm glad that I did. I just like the convenience of having both setup and ready to roll when I need it without having to break it down and converting it to the other machine.

6. Gso125

Gso125 Pinewood Ninja

I ordered the milling column for know. The boss has been paying to much attention to my spending so I’ll get the DRO kit in a month or so. I’m used to running larger 500-1000lb woodshop machines and setup was easier on them compared to this tiny lathe. I’ve been practicing turning and facing 1/2in Aluminium rod and I ordered a bunch of Delrin to turn also. It’s been a pain squaring up a piece cutting it down then take it out of the chuck and putting it back in sq. My dial gauge is a pain because my base is the magnet which was great on my old woodshop machines. So I’m either going to put a t slot in my wood base to mount the arm or get a heavy steel plate to sit on my wood base to hold the magnet. It’s been fun running it so far. I have been using the acid brush an shop vac to keep it clean.

7. Mojo Racing

The mag base will stick to the X direction bed... not the cross slide... I just move my cross slide toward the head and use the magnetic base on the bed... works great.

8. Gso125

Gso125 Pinewood Ninja

That’s how I was doing it at first but I was afraid it might start scratching up the bed surface. I found some 3/8 5x5 in steel plate and it’s heavy enough So I put it off to the side of the bed and it works good. Also I ordered a boring tool and holder which is 3/8 so the rods on my magnet stand should fit in the holder and I’ll see how it works for the dial indicator. Either way I just got to practice more. I’m having a lot of fun just tinkering with setting it up

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. Mojo Racing

Ohhhhh... now you are hooked... LOL

Wait til you start making things !

10. Bw56

Bw56 Bent Axle

I try to not cut wood on my mill. It sucks up the oil from the bed and ways. IF I have to cut wood I don't clean the metal off until after I cut the wood, Then shop vac and re-oil