Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Over Thinking Newtons Apple 101

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by ratrodsrule1, May 22, 2020.

1. ratrodsrule1

ratrodsrule1 League Racer

Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don’t. Some say I’m crazy but I have a good time and like Wiley Coyote I’m always scheming how to catch the roadrunner. So here goes.

It’s my understanding that off all the factors of PWD speed that aero has one of if not the lowest percentiles of cause and affect. But it is a percentile. With the pro division finals between Chuck and Gso decided by .0001 it appears that every percentile matters.

A 143g piece of wood traveling at approximately 11/12 miles per hour has a very small aero foot print BUT considering Newton’s law of gravitational pull combined with Eisensteins law of relativity the aero footprint should be relative to the object in question.

Having said that it is IMHO that aero is as important as everything else in the big picture. So keeping in mind that .0001 if the obsession with drill and wheel/axle prep is important shouldn’t aero be as equally important even at 143g @11 mph @ 42’ ?
    Thanks....... RRR

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

You’ll notice... if you look at the 3 main leagues and their different classes... the classes that allow fenders... all the pros run fenders. To be honest, my BASX car is the only car I have ever built without fenders, including our Awana cars the last 4 years.
    Since .0001 can often be the difference between podium and not podium, aero is given huge importance. Biggest issue is it adds a lot of work and is a much quicker build without. At the scout level on average (not always) a well built and tuned car doesn’t need fenders to dominate. But in the leagues where a thou or more often even a ten-thou is the difference, you do it all if you want to win.
    Check this video out by John regarding fenders. Can’t ignore results...

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  3. ratrodsrule1

Thanks Mr. Jimmy. I've seen that vid and you and John are correct. I don't think BASX allows fenders which is where I'm at currently. The extra work to create aero is in the Ace's wheelhouse. I've said before we may get outrun but we refuse to get outworked. Got 3 scales coming next Friday to start the weight bias adventure. It all matters when it comes to .0001. Finally settled on the correct avatar....love this one !!

4. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Race Winner Pro Racer

you probably better get you a track

ljo and ratrodsrule1 like this.
  5. T-Bone Racing

T-Bone Racing Pinewood Ninja

BASX is definitely tougher when it comes to aerodynamics because you can’t use fenders or air shields. After the chassis is down to 1/4 of an inch and the nose comes to a point, it’s hard to get much more out of it, and it’s also about trying to find the balance between how aerodynamic can I get it, and is it sturdy enough. I’ve had cars break because they are too thin, not necessarily too aerodynamic, but a thin inside.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  6. ratrodsrule1

Hey Big man Lemme hold a dollar...LOL It ain't the money because my wife has money I haven't spent yet, but no space to put a track. I married way over my head but she is having to tote the load to keep up with my Dr. bills. Getting old ain't for sissies !!

7. ratrodsrule1

Don't break stuff T. LOL

T-Bone Racing likes this.
  8. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty 25+ Pro Race Wins! Pro Racer National Champion

I agree that fenders are not normally needed at the scout level, unless you run into a league racers son.
    When you look at league racing, we are trying to gather up every .001 we can. Many racers are lost or won by less than a .001.

9. ratrodsrule1

And that my friend is why you have all those banners hanging next to your avatar !!

ljo likes this.
  10. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Talk about close and a ten thou meaning everything... Pure Stock this month at APR... .0002 separated top 3 finishers.
    Crane’s wisdom being played out right there. Lead changed often. It was a great race to watch.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  11. ratrodsrule1

I heard that mentioned during the broadcast. At the end of round 1 of Basico the field was separated by 2 hundredths m. That’s a speck of dust in any lane.

12. Jupiter 2.9

Jupiter 2.9 District Champion Pro Racer

Well, I'm still .0400 off the pace so I would address the 3 main food groups.
    Alignment, Wheels & Prep.

13. ratrodsrule1

And you still won’t have a complete diet. Lol Jup I’m shocked to know that YOU haven’t already exhausted those groups all the way down to the beans and brown rice lol !!

14. Jupiter 2.9

Jupiter 2.9 District Champion Pro Racer

Thing is, I do what the pros do.
    I just don't do any of it well.
    That's why they're Pros & my cars are just place holders.

There is easy speed to be had if you use all the technique, tips & tricks we see here, but doing it top notch is the separator & that my friend is where the speed is.
    My hats off to all the top 10 every race.

TRE likes this.
  15. ratrodsrule1

Spot on Jup. Those cats don’t get their banners by mail order they scratch for every hundredth a thousands at a time and are willing to share with us what they’ve learned in the past. But I have a feeling they all have their secret sauce they’re not ready to share just yet until the next new thing comes along and I don’t blame them one bit. They shouldn’t have to do all the thinking for us.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    ljo likes this.