Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

RAZR(Eliminator) Class question

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Hangtime, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Hangtime

Hangtime Hammering Axles

I’ve found lots of great info on this site. I’m looking forward to getting involved in league racing. My basx car is finally starting to look promising. I’ve been thinking about trying the razr class too. Which brings me to my question... the rules say:

Axles

a. Minimum diameter .084

b. Headless axles must measure .084 at the tip

I’m questioning item b. Does this mean headless axles must measure a minimum of .084? Or is it meant to be interpreted exactly as written?

Specifically, I have some 3/32 bearings that I’d like to use. Of course, the tip of that axle won’t measure .084 unless I machine it in some way. Can’t imagine that’s what the rule means...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Bearings would classify you into the Unlimited Class.

3. Hangtime

Hangtime Hammering Axles

Thanks for the clarification, John. Your rules clearly state:
    Wheels (no bearings)

for all classes except MCR, razr and unlimited, leading to my misunderstanding. As I now understand it, bearings ( meaning ball bearing ) are legal in the unlimited class only.

4. Hangtime

Hangtime Hammering Axles

Am I correct to assume that you would use an insert in a wheel that had been bored to accept a bearing? What materials are legal inserts made of - nylon, delrin, bronze?