Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Secret Oil Process

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by birddog, Mar 3, 2013.

1. birddog

birddog Pinewood Ninja

OK, I'm trying to get a car ready for a race in one week where we are allowed to run oil I've never tried oil before, so I purchased the DD4H oil secrets DVD and will attempt to use that secret process.

My problem is, one of the components of that process, the one where you are supposed to buy something from Lowes, has changed.

It seems the manufacturer of that component has changed the ingrediants and you can no longer get the exact component listed in the DVD.

Now, I'm trying to be careful here as I believe this information is only available via the DVD, so I don't want to disclose anything on some public board.

My question is, is there an approved substitute that can be used? Rather that post the approved sub, maybe somebody can send me a message?

thanks,

birddog

2. 5KidsRacing

5KidsRacing PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner National Champion

I think the demonstration and showing you first hand how to do each step of the process is the real value in the DVD.... I don't think saying that DD4H oil or Dupont Teflon Multi Use Blue can spray is a problem.... Is that what you are talking about? The Dupont Blue can spray?

3. 5KidsRacing

5KidsRacing PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner National Champion

So I just looked it up and you are right, both of the cans that I have are the old style with the "Dry Wax" feature... This change was made way back in October of 2011...

Dupont says....

NOTE: FORMULATION CHANGE!

PLEASE NOTE THAT AS OF OCTOBER 2011, THE DUPONT™ TEFLON® MULTI-USE DRY, WAX FORMULA WAS MODIFIED. Many of our loyal customers have been purchasing DuPont™ Teflon® Multi-Use for nearly a decade. We recently upgraded the formula to be a semi-dry lubricant no longer featuring the “dirt-resistant, dry-wax” feature. You will notice the most recent cans that appear on shelf do not contain the dry-wax claim on the label. Many users have reached out wondering where their dry-wax formulation went.

If you want to obtain that same dry-wax formulation, you should switch to DuPont™ Teflon® Chain-Saver. This product contains the same Teflon® fluoropolymer, molybdenum and wax mixture that users have come to appreciate for its wear protection, water repellency and dirt resistance.

DuPont™ Teflon® Chain-Saver Lubricant may be found at Wal-Mart (1,400 stores nationwide — check availability online). Lowe's (4 oz. squeeze bottles only), Northern Tool, Mills Fleet Farm, online at www.MidwayAutoSupply.com and at many specialty motorcycle shops (through Tucker Rocky distribution).

Maybe the new stuff works the same with the DD4H process, but I don't know. Maybe others can chime in here. I know a lot of guys are running JigaLoo but that supply is dwindling.... I know DD4H has said there are alternatives...

Maglev likes this.
  4. Dixie Derby Dude

Dixie Derby Dude Pinewood Ninja

Man the stuff you learn around here!/images/boards/smilies/thumb.gif

5. birddog

birddog Pinewood Ninja

Yes, that is exactly it. I didn't want to mention the Dupont spray by name for fear of letting loose John's secret process to those who haven't anti'd up for the DVD.

Dupont changed the formulation and no longer has the wax in it. At this site, they do mention a possible alternative, chain saw lube, but wasn't sure what those of you who actually have experience with this have moved to.

This link tells all about the change:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/

Any thoughts?

Birddog

6. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

The chain lube doesn't work the same. [​IMG] I pm'd you a good alternative.

7. pony express

pony express Council Champion 15+ Pro Race Wins!

Bird dog: You need to substitue Jig a loo for the Dupont spray. If you can't find Jig-aloo then get 3M dry silicone spray for the axles. Follow the DVD instructions. Spray on the 3M and shake off excess. Be sure you use John's oil.

8. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Good info Scott. Thanks!

9. AUPatrick

AUPatrick Pinewood Ninja

Can anyone tell me what the alternative is? I too bought the DVD, found and bought a can of the blue teflon spray and thought that was supposed to be what I should use. I can't find Jig-a-loo locally. Any help would be appreciated.

10. Kinser Racing

I bet the new Dupont Multi Purpose will do just fine, maybe even better without the wax to slow it down. Jig A Loo is only sold at a few, and I mean few, stores in the states.

11. AUPatrick

AUPatrick Pinewood Ninja

Thanks Kinser. I'm trying to build my first oil car and submit it for this months race.

12. Kinser Racing

I am just guessing. You will really have to test it to see, but I bet it'll do OK.

13. MBL Racing

MBL Racing District Champion

If its any concellation, I didnt even realize I was using the newer stuff and we still won Pack and District without any problem. Although we used Jig at District it wouldnt have mattered.

14. Rocket car

Rocket car PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Algonquin for the"good land". Wayne's World
    Ok just watched DD4H "secret oil process " . Instead of the DuPont spray I see that people use the jig, but in the video it listed as one of the "BAD" lubricants. Is this true???

15. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Spray it on your wheels and see for yourself.

16. OPARENNEN

OPARENNEN National Contender Pro Race Winner National Champion

what DD4H means, is if you spray it directly on the wheels, it will melt them to some degree. Spray it on the nails, let it dry for 15 minutes, to allow the lequid to evaporate, then go for it.

17. Rocket car

Rocket car PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Algonquin for the"good land". Wayne's World
    Im assuming it is ok then as long as I do the above directions? Treat the axles just like the dvd shake off after application. Thx for help

18. Kinser Racing

Treat the wheels with the DerbyDad4Hire wheel process to protect them.

19. twistediron

twistediron Pinewood Ninja

could you use the red rocket to wax the axles?

20. Quicktimederby

Quicktimederby PWD Royalty

I'm sure you could I don't think it would produce much but you never know. The Jig on the axles is about the slipperiest barrier you can get. From my understanding the wax is used to provide a harder slipperier surface than the palstic of the wheel for the axle to run on. The trick is to make sure the wax is curred before finishing your prep.