Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Stupid question

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by AceMontana, Nov 19, 2019.

1. AceMontana

AceMontana District Champion Pro Racer

Anyone ever thought of or tried experimenting with a rear steer car? (Like a forklift) i ask because i was thinking it would somewhat make sense...youd need far less steering input to keep a car agaist the rail and the steering wheels would have far more weight on them meaning the steering force wheel would bounce much less...just a thought

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

I dont know how that would work but i guess you could try it

3. Pinewood Outlaw

Pinewood Outlaw Workshop Leader

I don't think it would fair very well. In a front steer car with the typical 1/16th" shaved off of the body at the steer wheel side and the rear wheels canted 3 deg said rear wheels are centered to the track's center guide rail and never touch it.....the front steer wheel is the only wheel that contacts the rail. In your proposed setup it seems that both the front and rear wheel would touch the rail. If we was to reverse the standard rail runner setup with the front wheels being canted at 3 deg and 1/16th" shaved off the body at the rear wheel steer location that still leaves us with possibly having our one raised wheel on the other rear axle where all of our weight is and I'm not sure that the rear would be stable with only one wheel on the track with all that weight. Just my thoughts......

AceMontana likes this.
  4. AceMontana

Good point! I had overlooked that the front wheel as well as the rear steer wheel would be pinned on the rail as well...that would add a whole lot of friction

5. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

Sounds like a fun project to test out if you reverse everything. lol

6. TRE

Sounds like a lot of work Thats not gonna workout

dan9592 and Gso125 Racing like this.
  7. TRE

The best advice i can give a new guy is learn to build a 3 wheel rail runner to top speed then monkey with ideas like this later

8. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Here’s another thought... look at the pros in the 3 leagues... league racing has been around a while now and the real successful pro racers do everything humanly possible to shave every ten-thousandth they possibly can off their time. It’s safe to say, if rear steer had even the slightest chance to work, they’d be doing it. Just my opinion mind you, but these guys do what works, and what works best.
    Fun to go out of the box of course and we’d all enjoy watching the R&D and results, I just don’t think it will result in any speed records.
    Again, just an opinion.

TRE likes this.
  9. Pinewood Outlaw

Pinewood Outlaw Workshop Leader

Now you got me curious lol.....I've drilled a block reverse rail runner style and gonna build a experimental car to test my hypotheses lol

10. AceMontana

PLEASE post your findings....ive been going to test it myself just for fun but been working 70+ hours recently and havent had the time

11. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

Not the smartest cat in the bag here....but it seems to me that building a rear steer pits all the mechanical frictional forces to to required by physics to the heaviest aspect of a free falling object this destabilizing the nose increasing the possibility of unnecessary bang which in turn applies additional unrequired drag. The whole point of rail running to my understanding is to remove all friction and increase stability....just saying

dan9592, Jimmy & his 2 Kids and TRE like this.
  12. AceMontana

Hmmm i thought it was just to force the car into a straight path to the finish line and cut out the extra distance caused by weaving back and forth

Charles Studer likes this.