Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

The EVIL ONE has retired

Discussion in 'Wheels and Axles' started by Bw56, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

The Evil One has retired, I'm no longer in scouts or doing district inspections. I'm glad that's over. I'm a machinist by trade So I saw the rule as Black and White. I enforced the rules as given to the best of my ability and fairness. SO....
    In the gray area I played with "Balancing" my own wheels on a metal pin fitting snugly in the bore with the point attached to a magnet and held up near another magnet adjusted close enough to hold everything up and spin freely. Revealing Hop, Runout and Balance. I used a spot of superglue on the light side inside the wheel, it really improved the spinning. OR.... Maybe I shouldn't think so much and stay retired.

Roadrunner likes this.
  2. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty 25+ Pro Race Wins! Pro Racer National Champion

Orrrrrr, you could join a league and put some of that obsessive nature to good use.

3. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Pinewood Ninja

And the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper. That’s the coolest trick I’ve ever heard of!

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  4. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

This is what machinists do when they start looking at everything. You should see the imbalance in all wheels, even machined race ready. Can't be good for starts and sustained speed on the flats. I've always wanted to do a league car. I just can't seem to get one together.

5. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Pinewood Ninja

I’m sure there’s always some imbalance. I’ve never had a real good method to detect it. ( spinning a wheel on a shaft, like a top. Longer spin time = better balance. Not endorsing that method. Just something I’ve messed with. ) If you can get good wheels to start with, the results will be better. In my limited experience, I’ve never found stock wheels better than .004 tir. Most are much worse.

6. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I think that’s why is important to start with the truest wheel you can before machining. If an uncut wheel has too much runout to start with, you can true it up but it leaves thicker and thinner spots behind the spoke face. You can machine most every surface but there.

But bore quality still trumps all IMHO. I’d run an out of balance wheel if it has a good bore over a balanced wheel with a “macaroni” bore! Lol

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.