Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Trying to get over the hump

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Ricky_Bobby, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Ricky_Bobby

Ricky_Bobby Hammering Axles

Hi all, I'm a 4th year cub scout dad. My son and I have had some success in his pack races. He's had 3rd, 1st and 2nd place finishes in his den and two 2nd place pack overalls. The cars have gotten faster every year with this last car, a rail car, averaging 2.96's. But we just can't get over the hump. After finding this forum and DD4H site, I'm planning to go all out this year. Thin ladder body, canted rear axles, bent front axle, grooved ss axles, wheel hub & axle polishing, and zero friction graphite. Is there any advice you pro's can help with to bring home the big trophies.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Build more than one car a year..Build a few and send in to the races..get some practice that way

3. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Building scout cars to be fast is always a trade-off between the design the scout wants and speed. In your avatar, the car has a big wing on the back that cost your scout a fair amount of speed. A body that is thin overall, with the weight properly located and packed tight around the rear axle will be faster. Once you get it sleek, aligned properly, and lubed it will all come together.
    For me, being that it is the scout's car, let them build what they want and do what you can with the weight, alignment and lube. Chances are, it will still win at the pack level and do ok at districts. Probably needs to be thin to win at districts and definitely at the council level.
    Your pack allows stainless axles?

4. Ricky_Bobby

My son isn't picky about the design, as long as it looks cool and goes fast...lol...I usual do research on body types and we sit down and go over what he likes....then he picks a color and we get to work...my avatar is his car from 2 years ago, it did well and ran 3.01-3.04 on a 42' best track...his pack is fairly lenient...we are allowed to use wheels and axles that can be purchased separately...they are sticklers about oil though...dry lubes only

5. Ricky_Bobby

I've contemplated building cars to send in to pro races...I'm sure I'd get whooped, but it would be cool just to be able to say I did it...is there a league you could recommend?

6. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

There are several leagues to try. The owner of this site runs pinewoodderbyracing.com which runs a format more similar to head's up drag racing than a traditional pinewood derby. Three classes to pick from- BASX, MA Xtreme, and Unlimited. BASX is probably the easiest to build for, building an MA Xtreme would give you the option of running the car at the Mid America Derby as well as the leagues. BASX is a body and four 2.4 gram wheels, MA Xtreme allows for clear wheel shields, fenders and any weight wide wheel with all lettering and tread bumps visible.

There's also the NPWDRL out in Utah. 12 classes there ranging from Box Stock to Unlimited. Rules for each class are at npwdrl.com or on their message board at npwdrl.boards.net . They run a BASX Amateur class there for the new guys.

In Ohio, you'll find the Association of Pinewood Racers, apr.boards.net , 11 classes over there, including Pure Stock (stock wheelbase only) and Mini Cooper (5 oz but only 4" long).

I haven't seen any action over at the PDDR site in a while, not sure what the schedule is at that venue. pddr.proboards.com

If you're anywhere near Rosemont, MN, there's the PWDR, pwdracing.proboards.com , although I heard they closed the race shop but I haven't heard if they found a new location yet.

Did I miss anyone, guys?

7. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

I think BR hit all the current leagues. You can also check with the local scout shop to see if there are any adult fund raiser races in your area.

If you are able to use aftermarket wheels, you have a wide selection to choose from. If you can use lightened wheels, better yet. Go with 1/4" tungsten cubes as well. Clear wheel covers?

Good luck!