Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Understanding weight placement and center of gravity

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by firestone, Jul 5, 2019.

1. firestone

firestone Bent Axle

IS there any consensus on the true ideal center of gravity? I've seen/heard/read about 1" in front of rear axle, but with how heavily weighted some cars look with cube weights all the way to the back, I can't imagine those cars have COG that far forward.

Also I'm getting the feeling that cubes are the way to go. My son has been running cylinder tungsten above rear slot and just in front of it, and does ok at the Pack level, but we're looking to really step it up next year. His goal is to get back to the NYC event next year and be competitive.

2. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

One of the variables in how far rearward you can place the center of gravity, is the type and condition of the track you will be running on.
    I am not the guy to define what is right, but I see many who use 3/4 inch, and I don't see many suggesting otherwise. However, those who say nothing on the subject, may know best of all.
    I am building a track for me and my grandsons to play with, and then I can do my own experimentation.

3. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

I don't so much worry about the actual location of the COM. I go by how much weight is on each wheel. Sure you can calculate the location of the COM from that, but why bother. Six to one, half dozen to the other... A good safe starting point would be 15 grams on the DFW and the remainder evenly distributed between the rears. You can then experiment by adding or reducing weight on the front as well as from side to side on the rears from there to see what distribution works best for you.

4. electric sheep

electric sheep Hammering Axles

I follow the same approach as Darkside and check the DFW weight. I noticed my kids cars had better speeds when I made this change. I haven’t had issues with this approach.