Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wheel polishing with graphite

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by Fumbles, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Fumbles

Fumbles Workshop Leader

So if the outside of the wheel is polished with graphite does it make the rear wheels SO slippery that they can start sliding about sideways on the track? Is there such a thing ? I'm seeing cars on the flat straightaway start to sway about in the rear end - what causes that? Or do the cars rear ends sway about due to a weight & balance issue?

2. Vitamin K

Vitamin K Guest

I think the only time I'd put graphite on the wheel itself would be for the inner edge of the DFW, where it will ride up against the rail.

That said, that 'waggle' that oftentimes is seen is usually caused by too light a front end, or too little steer.

3. ngyoung

ngyoung PWD Royalty

Keep the tread surface clean. An easy way to do quick clean ups is using a magic eraser pad. Like VK said, only apply to the edge of the wheels where they would make contact with the rail.

4. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

There is a good thread on this very subject (I just could not find it quickly), but you can also minimize it by lessening the rear wheel gaps and / or by adjusting the weighting left to right. From what I can tell, it's all related and the solution is different for every car.

5. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Graphite on the tread surface of the wheels can do that but it's not the main culprit. Vitamin K indicated the main culprits. Graphite on the tread will slow you down. Keep them clean.

6. Fumbles

Fumbles Workshop Leader

Ok- thanks everyone!

7. 1reason

1reason Workshop Leader

Graphite on the tread surface is out???

We've done it every single race for the last five years because a book we bought said to do so.

What about burnishing it on with a rag as the tire spins?

8. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Graphite on the outside of the wheel is OUT! /images/boards/smilies/thumb.gif

The only place on the outside of the wheel it MAY benefit you is the inside edge of the DFW or possibly the NDFW edge. Anywhere else will slow you down. That's why the pros take every legal oportunity to clean their wheels.