Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

wheel spacer question

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by W&K Creations, Jun 25, 2013.

1. W&K Creations

W&K Creations League Racer

I was going to work on improving on my first attempt at a Street Pro and wanted to use the reverse wheel set up for the rear wheels. I already ordered the wheels with the adjustment for running it reversed from John, and I ordered the spacers....just a quick kinda silly question, but for those that run reversed wheels, do you just superglue the spacer to the body of the car similar to the Teflon inserts.

Also, is the diameter of the inner spacer ring such that you have to relax it a bit to enable a fairly smooth insert of the axels when its time to install or is it essentially ready as is.

Finally, for both the spacer and inserts, is the surface ready to go and just needs a wipe down before install or do people wax it first (red rocket or whatever else people use), polish, and then install.

Thanks for the help!

W

2. 5KidsRacing

5KidsRacing PWD Royalty Pro Race Winner Pro Racer National Champion

I don't glue the spacers to the body for a SS or a SP. I prefer them to be a slight press fit with the axle and not floating.

I can't speak directly about the DD4H spacers, someone will have to chime in...

I don't do anything for the rear spacers, but I try to polish the DFW spacer.

3. ZZ Racing

ZZ Racing Council Champion Pro Racer National Champion

DD4H's spacers fit tight on the axle so no glue is needed. I just use them as they come.

4. W&K Creations

thanks 5 kids and ZZ!

Based on my times at the Nationals, this SP is going to be a long climb upward!

I also didnt pay close attention to those wheels despite John reminding me to be careful LOL....first wheel polishing, squeaky squeaky sound but I pulled to hard or went to fast and "POP" the bore came right out....good thing I had backup...Now im really gona be careful about these particular wheels!

Wes

5. g.o.racing

g.o.racing District Champion

w&k

yup those wheels are very delicate , I'v only done one set but I went thru the Q-tips and used 97s on them.

6. derby freak

derby freak National Contender Pro Racer

yeah I learned the hard way on a lot of stuff I don't mess up that much stuff anymore but I have destroyed some stuff no doubt mostly bearing wheels for the unlimited class. it doesn't seem like just one section of the stop section wants to stop a bearing car very well and I have bounced a few off the backstop and that is not good when concrete meets the wheels on the car. I also destroyed a few sets of wheels especially the SP wheels by having my axle hole too tight and when it come time to pull the wheels off for reprep I would pull the hub right out of the wheel. so if your axle is tight don't try forcing it out by pulling on the wheel there is other methods such as an axle removal tool I used one time that ZZ racing has that works pretty well it looks like a modified set of needle nose pliers or you can drill a hole in the bottom of the car at an angle right down to the axle and use something to push the axle out. I use a sharp pointed scribe for this.

Maybe we ought to start a "WARNING DON"T DO THIS" section on the forum.

7. Old Geeezer

Old Geeezer District Champion

FYI: Thin nylon fishing line around the axle head works in a pinch also. Saved my bacon and a set of wheels a couple of times.

8. Knotty Racing

Knotty Racing District Champion

Oh Snap!

Old Geezer that sounds like an awesome idea!!!!

My street stock has the axles buried in concrete or at least that is what it feels like.

Might have to give that a try.

9. Crewzin

Crewzin Pinewood Ninja

Put a grove in the head of your axles. Then you can apply slight pressure and twist them out.. It works great.

10. derby freak

Yeah I've thought of that too and is probably what I'll end up doing.

11. W&K Creations

Just got the spacers but noticed its shaped like a mushroom from the side....skinny end and a mushroom cap end....which side goes against the body and which side is on the wheel side....just in case....

12. ZZ Racing

Small end to wheel.

13. g.o.racing

g.o.racing District Champion

zz,

last race was my first attempt at sp.and when putting the spacers small end to wheel they would get stuck in the relief cut of the bore. are you supposed to sand or tapper them to stop this?
    I ran them small end to body was better than having them getting stuck.appreciate any input on this thanx

Gary O

14. ZZ Racing

Go-- the spacers are for running the wheels reversed. If your running the wheels in the proper direction then you need washers not spacers.

15. OPARENNEN

OPARENNEN National Contender Pro Race Winner National Champion

Don't run SP w/o reversing the rear wheels.
    If you run normal, the SP wheel is so thin it flexes and ruins your time. especially with all the weight at the rear.
    Test it with the wheels both ways. You will be surprised at the time difference.

16. derby freak

Actually Opa I turn better times with my wheels not reversed. Maybe I just don't know how to properly use the spacers. I've tried and I can not build a fast car using the spacers.

17. derby freak

Last SP race I was in, Kinser won and the fastest time I saw him turn was a 2.910 Mine was a 2.922 maybe if I could learn to use the spacers I could end up a contender. I don't know maybe one of these days when I can get my track set back up I will do some more testing and figuring.

18. Eragon17

Eragon17 Hammering Axles

This will be our first race in SS AM are we allowed to use the Delrin Washers from the derby dad 4 hire store.

19. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Yes, those are ok to use!

Welcome to the Amateur ranks! Stephen

20. Eragon17

Eragon17 Hammering Axles

Thanks for the welcome.
    This isn't our first year building but it is our first year racing in the NPWDRL.