Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wood shaped like bacon

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by chromegsx, Dec 18, 2013.

1. chromegsx

chromegsx District Champion

My son has developed this "obsession" with bacon. His birthday was all about bacon. Bacon cupcakes[​IMG][​IMG], Bacon for gifts, bacon etc... Well his request for his awana car this year is bacon.... I found a pic of a derby car of bacon, but it didn't really impress me...So I was thinking I might be able to shape wood into bacon shape...(Right now as I'm typing this I'm boiling two different thickness of wood to see how pliable I can get it to see what I can do with it.) I'm wonder in anyone has any ideas for making a bacon themed car that at least doesn't beg people to ask "What is it?" ?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]Pocket knife, paint and patience. Here's a joke for your boy- Bacon and eggs walk into a bar, the bartender says I'm sorry we don't serve breakfast...
    You gotta post a pic when it's done- this I hafta see!

3. chromegsx

Good one. He'll like that joke. Patience is something he's learning although not as fast as I'd like. /images/boards/smilies/smile.gif

4. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

It's your job right now to gently persuade him to build a fast car, not necessarily a cool looking car, one that will win! You know what I mean?

5. IAE Racing

IAE Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Uhh hu hu. He said making bacon! Uhh hu hu hu! Now if we could just get that "sarcasmcon" for Christmas.

Just make some parallel curves in the sides and keep it real thin. Then cure for three weeks in salt brine.

6. IAE Racing

IAE Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

[​IMG]

Curves on the side optional, quarter inch thick. It would be hard to put fenders on the front with wavy sides, room on the back though. Skip the curves and just paint it. Greasy and fast. best of both worlds.

Seven inches of Squeal! Making Bacon! The Baconator. The names could go on and on.

Hopefully you don't go we we we all the way home!

+1 Kinser

7. GravityX

GravityX PWD Royalty Pro Racer

A quick search of the web has revealed this one. I'm sure there are many others out there. Not so sure I'd stagger the wheels though.

[​IMG]

8. Kinser Racing

You guys aren't helping my cause here. [​IMG]

P.S. My wife is cooking bacon right now and the whole house smells like meat candy, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

9. Nics Dad

Nics Dad Pinewood Ninja

[​IMG]Good old Ford, they just had to go and make a real life bacon wrap car/images/boards/smilies/eek.gif

10. chromegsx

Kinser, No worries, we're well aware of speed issues. He knows that there will be a trade off. He's been taught about aero. In fact we got a solid first last year with a fair bit of aero issues, baseball bat and ball on top of a plank with his name cut thru the plank. Now he is being asked by several kids how he gets is car to go so fast..."He keeps saying, I'm not telling you my secrets." which is funny that he thinks he has secrets. I keep telling him that he could tell people all his secrets and they still couldn't compete unless they put in as much time and effort making sure drill and alignment were good. I'm hoping I can get him to do nearly everything on this one, including tuning and wheel prep. He did much of last year but I spent a ton of time on drilling and tuning for him.

My first attempt at wood bending below (now a moot point I think), I was thinking we'd mount some sort of bacon shape to top of a plank, but although he understood what I was trying to do his idea was more simplistic where we'd cut the curve on top the car similar to the first piece in the pic below (but the bottom of car would be flat)...then he'd paint to his satisfaction... Not nearly as complicated as what I was thinking. I always tend to over think things.

[​IMG]

Gravity, yeah we saw that one. I won't do offset wheels, got burnt on a small offset the first year I tried it. The curve on the track caused the car alignment to go out of wack and steer the DFW off the rail, thus causing it to slam back over again after the curve.

IEA, I think I'm going to go similar to what you have there, curve on sides and curve on top, gotta draw it up in CAD tomorrow to see what I'm looking at. and how to incorporate fenders. I definitely want to have him add those this year, it can be one of his secrets he won't tell anyone. LOL. I'll try to design the curve so we can add at least one front fender... we do 3 wheelers. Not sure if we'll do a guide pin or just add the raised wheel tight on body.

As far as names... it will probably be Baconator as that is what he named is section of the school newspaper he started reviewing bacon recipes to review and write about. Should put a sticker on it saying "Fast Food" too.

11. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

I am with kinser...make the car fast and use a sticker...Or better yet they make bacon air fresheners, you could glue that on top and it would smell like bacon and still smoke the competition. WOOHOO!!

12. Kinser Racing

Cool!/images/boards/smilies/smile.gif

13. chromegsx

Now we're cooking with bacon. Great idea. Where do I find the air fresheners? That'd be perfect to be flat and smell like bacon. Can find them on eBay. But was wondering if some common stores might carry them.

14. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

I think it was either walmart or Oreilys that I saw them. I will look for ya
    OK just google "bacon Air freshener" it is all over the place

15. OPARENNEN

OPARENNEN National Contender Pro Race Winner National Champion

Just take a real piece of bacon, but a big piece. Cook it rare, so you can twist the shape. Paint it with clear epoxy, and glue it to a thin piece of PW body. Now you have the real thing.

16. Crash Enburn

Crash Enburn PWD Royalty

Use 5Kids' method:

Print this pic (below) onto sticky paper.
    Stick to your car.
    Cover with clear tape.
    Done.
    [​IMG]

17. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]Been looking for races on the West Coast to attend and saw this picture at the Stumptown 40 Derby in Portland. The site says this car lost a wheel in the first round and ended up as the winner. I think it's held in a bar and the rules specifically say if we catch you using oil were going to disqualify and laugh at you. Something tells me I'd get laughed at even using graphite if I showed up ready to race.[​IMG][​IMG]

18. chromegsx

Eccentric that is perfect. He loves that design. Unfortunately, we're starting to get a little close on time now and looks like we'll be running a plank with a picture. I may have drug my feet a bit. /images/boards/smilies/wink.gif We'll see how motivated he is to give it some shape. I'm thinking for his first solo build, he should stick with fast and forget pretty. Got the drill centered up tonight finally after a chuck change...within a 1/4-1/2 thousand depending on which pin I use and which end style for the indicator I use. We already processed the wheels and axles on 1.5 thousand chuck. But the perfectionist in me wants to make him recheck and redo the wheels to a better standard.

19. chromegsx

Soon done with "major" work on wheels...
    http://youtu.be/w8WJ4n6CjYg

Didn't cut or drill block yet. 1 week to go.

20. chromegsx

Cutting weight pockets and trimming weight from front end...
    http://youtu.be/BBvKmP7QQl8