Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Zero Friction Side Glide Questions

Discussion in 'Building tips' started by Mister B Racing, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Mister B Racing

Mister B Racing League Racer Pro Racer

I did some searching but didn't really find much info. on the subject of Zero Friction Side Glides. Is there an advantage to using Zero Friction Side Glides over Delrin axle washers? How are the Zero Friction Side Glides attached to the body? Epoxy or super glue? Do you have to notch the body for the glides? I would assume the axle holes would have to be drilled after the guides are attached?

Thanks,
    Steve (MRB Racing)

2. 5KidsRacing

5KidsRacing PWD Royalty Pro Race Winner Pro Racer National Champion

I have never tried this technique, but it seems a lot more difficult than using a Delrin or Teflon washer. Sorry, I don't have any more info for you/images/boards/smilies/frown.gif

3. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Steve,
    I glue mine on with super glue. Whether or not you need to notch the body depends on your front body width and how much front offset you need to keep the body centerline parallel to the guide. Same consideration you would have when adding the thickness of a Delrin washer.

As for the question about which is faster, I don't think one is any quicker than the other, given the proper setup. I would test them both and see which one suits your style.

4. sondo007

sondo007 Council Champion

Mr B. Here you go. This was my order from McMaster-Carr. Its a lot easier than the old method I used that I learned from "SpaceWalker" The back just peals off, however I've been adding super glue for extra strength. I will say this about the new stuff it's pretty darn slick and I actually spun my wheels on the car and turned them so they would rub on the teflon and they still keep going for several seconds afterwards. You can always use this in-conjugation with the washers too, which I know some builders do. Hope this helps. Thanks

[table][tr][td]1[/td][td]8711K91[/td][td]Sheets Made with Teflon(R) PTFE, Adhesive Ready, .015" Thick, 6" X 6"[/td][/tr][/table]

5. KC Racing

KC Racing Pinewood Ninja

I have used both in the past and now I only use the washers, WAY EASIER!!

6. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Race Winner Pro Racer

Do you glue the washers to the body or let them spin free between body and wheel

7. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

8. OPARENNEN

OPARENNEN National Contender Pro Race Winner National Champion

Forget the washers. Just use Teflon Clear Coat after sanding the side of the car fine.
    Since it's a fingernail polish, it has a small brush in the bottle. The stuff is only 2 or 3 $s a bottle.
    Just paint 1/2 inch over the body holes.

Here is what I tested on my SS car Red Flag:

Fastest on top
    Slowest on Bottom

1 Teflon Clear coat
    2 glued on Teflon washer (slower by 1/100th)
    3 MonoKote rolled up the sides (5/1000 slower than number 2)
    4 Teflon loose washer (was equal to 3)
    5 Only paint (1/100th slower than 3 and 4)
    6 Wood Only -- Didn't test this

9. ninjarabbi1997

ninjarabbi1997 Rail Runner

Opa, that is awesome! Thx for sharing, my bottle came from Amazon. Thx!

10. MOFAST

MOFAST Council Champion

Very good information! Thanks!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Holy Toledo!

Opa, Thank you so much for such detailed data.

After I read the Kinser post I thought "oh, this is good stuff".

But yours is just outta the park.

Best regards,

12. MBL Racing

MBL Racing District Champion

Hey OPA could you show a link to this stuff on amazon. I found some "teflon tuff" by Helle Hanson. Is that what you tested? Thanks

13. Spirit Racing

Spirit Racing Council Champion Pro Racer

yes, Teflon Tuff made by Sally Hanson.....SPIRIT.......

14. OPARENNEN

This is what I use, but other brands exist.

15. OPARENNEN

IMPORTANT POINT: I did this testing several months ago, and no longer have the documentation.
    The times above are from my memory, and are inexact. However, the order indicated above is accurate.

16. OPARENNEN

Just to be clear. I only used the Teflon polish on the car body. I never used it on the wheel bores. Never thought of it, but if you try, better use it on a set of older wheels that you can throw away.

Sometime in the next two weeks, I am going to do the test again and post the times.

17. Spirit Racing

Spirit Racing Council Champion Pro Racer

I will save you guys some R&D time on the Teflon Tuff nail polish. I have used it on scout cars for about 4 or 5 years now. In my mind it is only useful when washers are illegal. It is not faster than Teflon or Delrin washers . Yes I have run on league cars and didn't slow me down too much but a little. I thank there is more potential for speed gains with washers when you can use them. Testing nail polish and washers against each other could be misleading, because of some variables such as tuning for one. And yes, I have tried it in wheel bores on a set of 2.4 g retired wheels, and do not do it on a good set of DD4H wheels, cause you will be sorry!!!!!That's it in a nutshell[​IMG]

18. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Thanks Spirit!!!

19. 4wheeldrift

4wheeldrift Rail Runner

Just to add to this discussion, we were scrambling last week looking for the Sally Hansen teflon coating as we put final touches on car pack race on Sat, but we couldn't find it at any of the drug stores.

There must be 1,000 bottles of nail polish and there was a huge Sally Hansen section, but no teflon clear. I tested a top coat the wife had that was meant to provide a hard surface, and it caused more drag. We couldn't use washers or inserts for the pack race so I resorted to sanding the surface real smooth and then burnishing with graphite (only graphite allowed). Certainly not as good as teflon insert but I didn't trust trying to use one of the other types of top coats.

20. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

When I searched for it, it looks like the Teflon Tuff has been discontinued. Lots of store still have some and it's available online though. I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Triple-Advanced-Hardener-0-45/dp/B0046MLZWU

I haven't tried it yet, but the ingredient list says it also contains PTFE. If I can find it locally, I'll give it a shot.